Saturday, 13 August 2011

One of those days..when plans go wrong!!

Hiya :0)


Well its the last weekend of the school hols..and yes I know I keep saying it but it has gone quickly!! We wanted to take the kids out and explore today, so after hunting around we decided that instead of driving for miles we would go to town..the first stop being the museum, well to be honest I was dissapointed, I know museums can be 'boring' for some but we like to go and learn new things, let the kids see things they haven't seen before, now don't get me wrong people without a tribe of kids would spend more time there than we did, but it just wasn't for us, we got 'tutted' at a few times as the kids where wanting to know what things where..in high pitch voices! one thing that did strike me though is that its a big building but only 2 rooms where accesible, upstairs where the lewis chessmen display was, and downstairs which was a random mix of 'old stuff' I think to be honest I was expecting more of  the culture/background of the island. We stayed for around half an hour then headed off to find Latta's mill, as described here http://www.stornoway-lewis.co.uk/places-to-visit.htm after reading its a 'must see' for families with children, when we found it and the water wheel wasn't working and the information centre was locked up, it looked like it hadn't been on/open in a long while and there where lots of beer bottles thrown down around the wheel, I am going to do some digging on this, as it could be really special!!

We decided as we have days out exploring planned for monday & tuesday that we would pick up some bits and bobs that we needed and come home, I nipped into the only toy shop in stornoway and stocked up on arts and crafts stuff so tommorow will be spent making a large 'summer holiday collage' which will take pride of place on the wall in the kitchen/diner...so even if today was a flop tommorow will be fun :0)...hows your saturday been?  xxx

2 comments:

  1. Linzi, sorry to hear the museum and mill were disappointments, especially for the kiddies.

    Love the ideas of a large summer holiday collage..PLEASE put a photo of it on your blog for us to share!

    Sft x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hols over already? Yours start and finish earlier than down South!
    I guess the kids were glad to be home then!

    Looking forward to a pic of the collage!

    Sandie xx

    ReplyDelete