Saturday, 16 April 2011

Changes for the better!!

Good afternoon :0)

Well what a week!! I am glad its over and hoping next week is better!..put it this way it cant be any worse!! I have been doing alot of thinking since we moved here, Its so easy to stand and stare out of the window for ages and get lost in your own thoughts!

This morning it struck me when I was cleaning the kitchen just how much we throw away! Its crazy to think really! we have boxes of 'stuff' that isnt unpacked yet we are still functioning so really I think we have spent to much money/time on materialistic 'things' that don't matter...todays a good example of the lifestyle we want to have up here...the kids have been outside playing all day so far...all manner of games..lost in a little world of there own! The tv hasn't been touched...they have just been playing together happily! They wouldn't even eat there lunch inside and instead had a picnic in the garden...and what is the cost? nothing! just lots of fresh air and imagination!

We are going to head into town for the weekly food shop but this time I am going with a plan...I am not going to chuck all manner of crap in the trolley just because its 'on special offer' I really do wan't to cut back on waste and get back to basics....not one pizza or bag of chicken nuggets will go into my trolley this week! I am not even going to buy buiscuits off the shelves..I have so many recipe books its about time they got put to use again...so far today I have a batch of fruit scones made, cheese and onion bread cooking and lentil & potato soup in the slow cooker...so this week my mission is to cut back and go back to the start!! It will be interesting to see what the foodbill cost will be compared to our usual marathon shops which normally come in around £150 per week!

I cant see the kids complaining about baking either! this weeks lunchboxes will include flapjacks, brownies and muffins I am even going to make the bread rolls myself!!

Also this week with all the appauling trouble we have had with the removals we have bought lots of second hand furniture..I freely admit some of it wouldn't have been my first choice but I have been sanding down and painting drawers ready for stencelling...which means unique furniture thats been updated with time and love! and lets face it old furniture is a hell of alot stronger than mdf flatpack! and we need strong stuff with our tribe!

so my goals this week are simple, reduce,recycle and not waste anything!

Back to basics...the good life maybe? might sound naff but up here life is different! we don't have access to all the big shopping centres but we do have access to lots of fresh air and family time..I am determined to make the most of it in the most simple ways possible :0) xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

5 comments:

  1. you are living your dream now which is great! the kids have a healthier lifestyle away from the hustle and bustle of mainland living. there might not be the shops or amenities but there are many more compensations i am sure. its lovely to hear that the kids are actually playing happily together, bit of a break through eh!
    you keep living the dream you xxx love you all missing u like crazy and definitely looking forward to august when we will come and visit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, just discovered your blog via 'Life after Money' blog.
    I admire your move and way of living, it's something I would love to do myself!
    Do you have a blogshop or website that your candles etc can be purchased from?

    Happy weekend to you all.

    Sandie xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hiya Sandie :0) welcome
    I think we just got fed up of the rat race! Hubby working all the time round the clock, me looking after the kids..in a way I guess we were two different people..but now we work together! It seems so much better..the kids have so much freedom! my new challenge is to cut back totally on non essentials! it seems so senseless spending money on things that in truth we just dont need! I love your blog! so glad I found it!I think if more people went back to the 'simple life' and gave up on luxuries then maybe more people would communicate with each other and be happier! I for one feel so much happier and relaxed up here..hubby is a different man! and the kids well I cant describe how happy I feel knowing the lifestyle the kids will have up here..finacially it may get tough at times..but at 27 with no mortgage and a future looking bright I cant see money ever throwing a big enough spanner in the works to make us chuck everything in and go back to our old way of living! I do have a website but its shut at the minute..however your blog made me smile..and think :0) so pop me your adress to my e-mail and I will send you some goodies :0) my email is xxlinzi4jonxx@aol.co.uk have a fab weekend! enjoy the fresh air and keep smiling! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another here via Life after Money

    Here is a blog to see a little more of Lewis...
    http://boxesbellows.blogspot.com/2011/04/old.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. :0) Hiya GZ welcome :0)will have a nosey...its lovely up here on lewis!! is boxes and bellows your blog? xxx

    ReplyDelete